photo Stripes_Cross_Stripes.png

Wednesday 24 August 2016

Hello

 

As soon as I wrote that title, Adele's voice instantly popped into my head. I'll be singing that for the next three hours for sure!
Anyway, welcome to the new Blog! You may have noticed some changes to the Facebook page..... If you're wondering what happened to Thread By Design- the business still exists- it's just been downgraded to 'hobby' now rather than 'full time business'. Let me fill you in on the last few months in the Manchee household....

Back in June I was having a conversation with a friend of mine about how business was going. Things were slow & financially I wasn't making the gains I wanted. I wasn't so much complaining, just telling it how it was. The very next day she called me & asked if I might be interested in selling. She had a friend who was keen to buy. Now, I'm not superstitious, or religious or anything like that but I can recognise a 'sign' when I see one and I saw this phone call as a big sign!

When I bought the shop back in September 2015, I had never worked in retail before, let alone run my own business and let me just say, RETAIL IS HARD!!!! like, REALLY HARD! I have so much admiration for those who have been in business for 30+ years - you deserve a medal!

For me, it was the financial struggle. I didn't go into the business thinking I was going to be rich. I thought it wound be easier for me and my family as I would have a bit more flexibility around the kid's schedules. and while that was the case to some extent, the reality of not having an income but still forking out money day after day became really stressful and I ended up in a place that was totally out of my comfort zone.

So, within two weeks of my friend's phone call, the shop was sold and I was moving on. I consider myself extremely lucky to have been able to pass the business on to someone who really wanted to see it thrive and I was able to walk away debt free, ready to start a new adventure. I'm also very grateful to have been able to have had the opportunity to own and run the shop and see what small business ownership is really like.

 
I'm now happily working in an admin role that I love. And I still have the flexibility to be there for my kids when they need me. 

I love writing and sharing my stories which is why I've created the Blog. It's also a great way for me to keep a little history of our life and our adventures and I hope you find them as entertaining reading  as we are living them.

Til next time,

Mel xx




No comments:

Post a Comment